Preserved Lemon Quinoa with Shaved Brussels, Toasted Walnuts
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 cup quinoa
• 1 cup water
• 1/4 cup walnuts, halved
• 1/2 cup shaved Brussels sprouts
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/2 preserved lemon
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 generous tablespoon goat cheese
1) In a small saucepan add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the quinoa and stir to coat. Toast for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add the water and bring to a rolling boil.
2) Once the water and quinoa is boiling, clover, reduce heat, and cook for 15 minutes. When the time is up, remove the pan from the heat but leave the cover on.
3) In a small saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add in the walnuts and toast lightly. Add the Brussels sprouts and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4) While the Brussels are cooking, remove the seeds from the preserved lemon. Scrape the insides from the rinds. Thinly chop the rinds and add them to the Brussels sprouts. Take the pulp and chop it finely. Stir the pulp, cumin, and the cayenne into the quinoa.
5) Season the Brussels sprouts with the salt and stir them into the quinoa. Plate. Dot with small bits of goat cheese and enjoy.
Photo by Shaina Olmanson | FoodforMyFamily.com